Resources for Parents & Teachers
(What is schooling, really? Start learning about this before your child starts preschool! Being able to respond to questions and what your child hears about school, if honest and straightforward, can set you up to be a resource for your child - in your child's view - rather than someone to talk as little as possible.
For a way of seeing how schools work and why in a way that you can share with your children (talking about it in your own words for younger children, watching and talking with your older children) see Ken Robinson's TEDTalk, Changing Educational Paradigms.
For the role of self-determination in motivation in growth, cooperation, and accomplishment, watch Edward Deci (author of Why We Do What We Do, a great read), see his TEDTalk here Motivation.
For why and how schools can adjust for more diversity, see L. Todd Rose's TEDTalk, The Myth of Average here. Great to share and watch with others, including your older children. For issues related to older children in school, read his very readable book, Square Peg.
Life Skills - Where Life Skills Thrive --Parenting 2.0--
Life skills are skills for successful living in the real and current world, and include the many things that schools to not teach successfully or do not teach at all, things that parents either do not know or do, or do not have or take the time to show their children (understandably, in today's competitive world). Click on the this link to access many, many resources for learning life skills and/or becoming a Life Skills educator on Parenting2.0 on LinkedIn.
Click the following link for Parenting 2.0 Public Service Interviews: how to nurture social-emotional learning at home or in the classroom:
Listen to recent 30-minute interviews with many of today's top educators, researchers, and authors, (including yours truly!) such as:
- Dr. Jane Bluestein, author "The Win-Win Classroom" and "The Perfection Deception"
- Dr. Robert Brooks, author "The Power of Resilience"
- Martin Dutcher, author "Beyond Good Parenting" (parents of pre-schoolers focus)
- Paula Prentis & Chris Parrot, authors "Reach Before You Teach"
- Dr. Shimi Kang, author "The Dolphin Parent" in Canada, "The Self-Motivated Child" in US
- Dr. Rick Hanson, author "Hardwiring Happiness"
- Dr. Donna Volpitta, Creator of Pathway to Empower Program
- Starla Lewis, Diversity Expert, Seven Time Teacher of the Year